Zelle® Transfer Service Agreement
1. Description of Services
- We have partnered with the Zelle Network (“Zelle”) to enable a convenient way to transfer money between you and others who are enrolled directly with Zelle or enrolled with another financial institution that partners with Zelle (each, a “User”) using aliases, such as email addresses or mobile phone numbers (the “Transfer Service”). We will refer to financial institutions that have partnered with Zelle as “Network ”
- Zelle provides no deposit account or other financial services. Zelle neither transfers nor moves You may not establish a financial account with Zelle of any kind. All money will be transmitted by a Network Bank.
- THE SERVICE IS INTENDED TO SEND MONEY TO FRIENDS, FAMILY AND OTHERS YOU YOU SHOULD NOT USE THE SERVICE TO SEND MONEY TO RECIPIENTS WITH WHOM YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR OR YOU DO NOT TRUST.
2. Eligibility and User Profile
When you enroll to use the Zelle Transfer Service you agree to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. You represent that you have the authority to authorize debits and credits to the enrolled bank account.
You agree that you will not use the Zelle Transfer Service to send money to anyone to whom you are obligated for tax payments, payments made pursuant to court orders (including court-ordered amounts for alimony or child support), fines, payments to loan sharks, gambling debts or payments otherwise prohibited by law, and you agree that you will not use the Zelle Transfer Service to request money from anyone for any such payments. You agree that you will not authorize a third party to use the Zelle Transfer Service or share your credentials with a third party to use the Service on your behalf except in legally authorized situations such as legal guardianship or pursuant to a power of attorney.
The Zelle Transfer Service is intended for personal, not business or commercial use. You agree that you will not use the Service to send or receive payments in connection with your business or commercial enterprise. We reserve the right to decline your enrollment if we believe that you are enrolling to use the Service with your business account or to receive business or commercial payments. We further reserve the right to suspend or terminate your use of the Service if we believe that you are using the Service for business or commercial purposes, or for any unlawful purpose.
Content Standards: You agree that you will not upload or provide content or otherwise post, transmit,
distribute, or disseminate through the Zelle Transfer Service any material that: (a) is false, misleading, unlawful, obscene, indecent, lewd, pornographic, defamatory, libelous, threatening, harassing, hateful, abusive, or inflammatory; (b) encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offense or gives rise to civil liability; (c) breaches or infringes any duty toward or rights of any person or entity, including rights of
publicity, privacy or intellectual property; (d) contains corrupted data or any other harmful, disruptive, or destructive files; (e) advertises products or services competitive with Zelle, as determined by Zelle in its sole discretion; or (f) in Zelle’s or our sole judgment, is objectionable, restricts or inhibits any person or entity from using or enjoying any portion of the Service, or which may expose us, Zelle or our respective affiliates or customers to harm or liability of any nature.
Although neither we nor Zelle have any obligation to monitor any content, both we and Zelle have absolute discretion to remove content at any time and for any reason without notice. We and Zelle may also monitor such content to detect and prevent fraudulent activity or violations of the terms and conditions. You understand that by using the Zelle Transfer Service, you may be exposed to content that is offensive, indecent, or objectionable. We and Zelle are not responsible for, and assume no liability, for any content, including any loss or damage to any of your content. We and Zelle make no representation or warranty that Content uploaded to a User profile accurately identifies a particular User of the Zelle Transfer Service. The Zelle Transfer Service may include functionality for you to add a unique alpha-numeric identifier to your egistered User profile to be used in lieu of your phone number or email address when sending or receiving money, which will be your “Zelle tag.” You will be limited to one Zelle tag per bank account, and each Zelle tag must have one U.S. mobile phone number or email address associated with it. Your Zelle tag must meet the Content Standards. You may not select a Zelle tag that misleads or deceives other Users of the Zelle Transfer Service as to your identity, or otherwise. Although neither we nor Zelle have any obligation to monitor User Zelle tags, both we and Zelle have absolute discretion to remove a User Zelle tag at any time and for any reason without notice. We and Zelle may require you to change your Zelle tag in our sole discretion, and we may elect to make a Zelle tag unavailable to you, without any liability to you. We and
Zelle may also monitor User Zelle tags to detect and prevent fraudulent activity or violations of the terms and conditions. You understand that by using the Service, you may be exposed to a Zelle tag that is offensive, indecent, or objectionable. We and Zelle are not responsible for, and assume no liability, for any User Zelle tags, including any loss or damage caused thereby. We and Zelle make no representation or warranty that a User Zelle tag accurately identifies a particular User of the Zelle Transfer Service. We respect the intellectual property of others and require that users of the Service comply with relevant intellectual property laws, including copyright and trademark laws. We may, in appropriate circumstances and at our discretion, limit or terminate the use of our products or services for users who use or publish Content on the Zelle Transfer Service that is subject to intellectual property rights claims.
In order to use the Zelle Transfer Service, you must have an eligible account with Bank of Marin based in the United States. Account eligibility rules may differ if you are enrolling in Zelle through a separate financial institution or on Zelle’s separate transfer service website or mobile app. In order to receive fund transfers into your eligible account, that account must be in good standing. In order to transfer funds out of your eligible account to another individual or business, you must have an available balance in that account. You represent that you have the authority to authorize debits and credits to the enrolled eligible Account.
You agree that there may be other eligibility requirements that apply to participate in the Zelle Transfer Service (e.g., non-U.S. persons may be prohibited from using the Zelle Transfer Service), and that we have the right and sole discretion, to restrict or otherwise prohibit your use of the Zelle Transfer Service.
We may, from time to time, introduce new features to the Zelle Transfer Service.
3. Consent to Share Personal Information (Including Account Information)
4. Privacy and Information Security
5. Wireless Operator Data
6. Enrolling for the Service
- You must provide us with an email address that you regularly use and intend to use regularly (i.e., no disposable email addresses) and a permanent U.S. mobile phone number that you intend to use for an extended period of time (i.e., no “burner” numbers). You may not enroll in the Service with a landline phone number, Google Voice number, or Voice over Internet Protocol.
- Once enrolled, you may:
- authorize a debit of your eligible account to send money to another User either at your initiation or at the request of that User; and
- receive money from another User either at that User’s initiation or at your request, subject to the conditions of the Section below titled “Requesting Money ”
- If at any time while you are enrolled, you do not send or receive money using the Service for a period of 18 consecutive months, we may contact you and/or take other steps to confirm that the U.S. mobile phone number or email address that you enrolled still belongs to you. If we are unable to confirm that you are the owner of the mobile phone number or email address, then you understand that we may cancel your enrollment and you will not be able to send or receive money with the Service until you enroll again.
7. Consent to Emails and Automated Text Message
By participating as a User, you represent that you are the owner of the email address, mobile phone number, and/or other alias you enrolled, or that you have the delegated legal authority to act on behalf of the owner of such email address, mobile phone number and/or other alias to send or receive money as described in this Agreement. You consent to the receipt of emails or text messages from us, from Zelle, from other Users that are sending you money or requesting money from you, and from other Network Banks or their agents regarding the Zelle Transfer Services or related transfers between Network Banks and you. You agree that we may, Zelle may or either of our agents may use automatic telephone dialing systems in connection with text messages sent to any mobile phone number you enroll. You further acknowledge and agree:
- You are responsible for any fees or other charges that your wireless carrier may charge for any related data, text or other message services, including without limitation for short message Please check your mobile service agreement for details or applicable fees, as message and data rates may apply.
- You will immediately notify us if any email address or mobile phone number you have enrolled is (i) surrendered by you, or (ii) changed by
- In the case of any messages that you may send through either us or Zelle or that we may send or Zelle may send on your behalf to an email address or mobile phone number, you represent that you have obtained the consent of the recipient of such emails or automated text messages to send such emails or text messages to the recipient. You understand and agree that any emails or text messages that we send or that Zelle sends on your behalf may include your
- Your wireless carrier is not liable for any delay or failure to deliver any message sent to or from us or Zelle, including messages that you may send through us or through Zelle or that we may send or Zelle may send on your
- To cancel text messaging from us, send STOP to 20736. For help or information regarding text messaging, send HELP to 20736 or contact our customer service at 1-866-626-6004. You expressly consent to receipt of a text message to confirm your “STOP”
- Supported Carriers: Most major carriers are supported. Limitations may apply.
8. Receiving Money; Money Transfers by Network Bank
Once a User initiates a transfer of money to your email address or mobile phone number enrolled with the Service, you have no ability to stop the transfer. By using the Zelle Transfer Service, you agree and authorize us to initiate credit entries to the bank account you have enrolled.
Transactions typically occur within minutes when the recipient’s email address or U.S. mobile number is already enrolled with Zelle. There may be other circumstances when the payment may take longer. For example, in order to protect you, us, Zelle and the other Network Banks, we may need or Zelle may need additional time to verify your identity or the identity of the person sending the money. We may also delay or block the transfer to prevent fraud or to meet our regulatory obligations. If we delay or block a payment that you have initiated through a request for money, we will notify you in accordance with your User preferences (i.e. email, push notification).
If you are receiving a payment from a business or government agency, your payment will be delivered in accordance with both this Agreement and the procedures of the business or government agency that is sending you the payment.
9. Sending Money; Debits by Network Banks
You may send money to another User at your initiation or in response to that User’s request for money. You understand that use of this Zelle Transfer Service by you shall at all times be subject to (i) this Agreement, and (ii) your express authorization at the time of the transaction for us to initiate a debit entry to your bank account. You understand that when you send the payment, you will have no ability to stop it. You may only cancel a payment if the person to whom you sent the money has not yet enrolled in the Zelle Transfer Service. If the person you sent money to has already enrolled with Zelle, either in the Zelle mobile app or with a Network Bank, the money is sent directly to their bank account (except as otherwise provided below) and may not be canceled or revoked.
In most cases, when you are sending money, the transfer will occur in minutes; however, there are circumstances when the payment may take longer. For example, in order to protect you, us, Zelle and the other Network Banks, we may need additional time to verify your identity or the identity of the person receiving the money. If you are sending money to someone who has not enrolled as a User with Zelle, either in the Zelle mobile app or with a Network Bank, the transfer may take up to two (2) business days from the day the intended recipient responds to the payment notification by enrolling as a User. You understand and acknowledge that a person to whom you are sending money and who is not enrolling as a User may fail to enroll with Zelle, or otherwise ignore the payment notification, and the transfer may not occur.
The money may also be delayed or the transfer may be blocked to prevent fraud or comply with regulatory requirements. If we delay or block a payment that you have initiated, we will notify you in accordance with your User preferences (i.e. email, push notification).
We have no control over the actions of other Users, other Network Banks or other financial institutions that could delay or prevent your money from being delivered to the intended User.
Neither we nor Zelle shall have liability to you for any transfers of money, including without limitation, (i) any failure, through no fault of us or Zelle to complete a transaction in the correct amount, or (ii) any related losses or damages. Neither we nor Zelle shall be liable for any typos or keystroke errors that you may make when using the Service.
THE SERVICE IS INTENDED FOR SENDING MONEY TO FAMILY, FRIENDS AND OTHER PEOPLE WITH WHOM YOU ARE FAMILIAR. YOU SHOULD NOT USE ZELLE TO SEND MONEY TO PERSONS WITH WHOM YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR OR YOU DO NOT TRUST. ZELLE DOES NOT OFFER A PROTECTION PROGRAM FOR AUTHORIZED PAYMENTS MADE THROUGH THE SERVICE (FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE GOODS OR SERVICES THAT YOU PAID FOR, OR THE GOODS OR SERVICES THAT YOU RECEIVED ARE DAMAGED OR ARE OTHERWISE NOT WHAT YOU EXPECTED). YOU AGREE THAT YOU, NOT WE OR ZELLE, ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR RESOLVING ANY PAYMENT OR OTHER DISPUTES THAT YOU HAVE WITH ANY OTHER USER WITH WHOM YOU SEND MONEY TO, OR RECEIVE OR REQUEST MONEY FROM, USING THIS ZELLE TRANSFER SERVICE.
11. Requesting Money
You may request money from another User. You understand and acknowledge that Users to whom you send payment requests may reject or ignore your request. Neither we nor Zelle guarantee that you will receive money from other Users by sending a payment request, or that you will receive the amount that you request. Neither we nor Zelle accept responsibility if the other User rejects or ignores your request, or sends you an amount that is less than you request. If a User ignores your request, we may decide or Zelle may decide, in our sole discretion, that we will not send a reminder or repeat request to that User.
By accepting this Agreement, you agree that you are not engaging in the business of debt collection by attempting to use the Service to request money for the payment or collection of an overdue or delinquent debt; to request money that is owed to another person; or to collect any amounts that are owed pursuant to a court order. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Zelle, its owners, directors, officers agents and Network Banks from and against all claims, losses, expenses, damages and costs (including, but not limited to, direct, incidental, consequential, exemplary and indirect damages), and reasonable attorney’s fees, resulting from or arising out of any request for money that you send that is related to overdue or delinquent amounts.
You agree to receive money requests from other Users, and to only send requests for legitimate and lawful purposes. Requests for money are solely between the sender and recipient and are not reviewed or verified by us or by Zelle. Neither we nor Zelle assume responsibility for the accuracy or legality of such requests and do not act as a debt collector on your behalf or on behalf of the sender of a request for money.
We reserve the right, but assume no obligation, to terminate your ability to send requests for money in general, or to specific recipients, if we deem such requests to be potentially unlawful, abusive, offensive or unwelcome by the recipient.
12. Transaction Errors
In case of errors or questions about your Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT), telephone us at 1-866-626-6004 or write us at: Bank of Marin, Attn: Central Operations, PO Box 2039, Novato, CA 94948-2039, as soon as you can, if you think your statement or receipt is wrong or if you need more information about a transfer listed on the statement or receipt.
- We must hear from you no later than 60 days after we send the first statement on which the problem or error appeared.
- Tell us your name and account number. • Describe the error or the transfer you are unsure about, and explain as clearly as you can why you believe it is an error or why you need more information.
- Tell us the dollar amount of the suspected error. If you tell us orally, we may require that you send your complaint or question in writing within 10 business days. We will tell you the results of our investigation within 10 or 5 (Visa® Check Card) business days after we hear from you and will correct any error promptly. If we need more time to conduct our investigation, however, we may take up to 45 days (or in some cases, up to 90 days) to investigate your complaint or question. If we decide to do this, we will credit your account within 10 or 5 (Visa® Check Card) business days for the amount you think is in error, so that you will have the use of the money during the time it takes us to complete our investigation. If we ask you to put your complaint or question in writing and we do not receive it within 10 business days, we may not credit your account. If we decide that there was no error, we will send you a written explanation within 3 business days after we finish our investigation.
13. Your Responsibility for Errors
You understand that we must rely on the information provided by you and you authorize us to act on any instruction, which has been or reasonably appears to have been sent by you, to submit fund transfer instructions on your behalf. You understand that financial institutions receiving the fund transfer instructions may rely on such information. We are not obliged to take any further steps to confirm or authenticate such instructions and will act on them without getting further confirmation. You agree to accept full responsibility for losses resulting from any of your errors, duplication, ambiguities, or fraud in the information that you provide. You agree not to impersonate any person or use a name that you are not authorized to use. If any information you provide is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, without limiting other remedies, we reserve the right to recover from you any costs or losses incurred as a direct or indirect result of the inaccurate or incomplete information.
14. Your Liability for Unauthorized Transfers
Tell us AT ONCE if you believe that your password has been lost or stolen, or if you believe that an EFT has been made without your permission. Telephoning is the best way of keeping your possible losses down. You could lose all the money in your account (plus your maximum overdraft line of credit).
Except for EFTs to or from brokerage accounts, your liability for an unauthorized EFT or a series of related unauthorized EFTs will be determined as follows:
- If you tell us within two Business Days after you learn of the loss or theft of your password, you can lose no more than $50 if someone used your password without your permission.
- If you do NOT tell us within two Business Days after you learn of the loss or theft of your password, and we can prove we could have stopped someone from using your password without your permission if you had told us, you could lose as much as $500.
- Also, if your periodic statement shows transfers that you did not make, including those made by using your password, tell us at once. If you do not tell us within 60 days after the statement was made available or transmitted to you, you may not get back any money you lost after the 60 days if we can prove that we could have stopped someone from taking your money if you had told us on time. You may notify us in person, by telephone, by email during a secure session using the appropriate form, or in writing at:
- Call us at 1-866-626-6004.
- Send us a secure message using the Message option in Online Banking.
- Write us at: BANK OF MARIN, P. O. Box 2039, Novato, CA 94948-2039.
15. Liability for Failure to Complete Transfers
If we do not complete a Transfer Transaction to, or initiate a Transfer Transaction from, your account within any time frames, or in the correct amount, all in accordance with our Agreement with you, we will be liable for your losses or damages. However, there are some exceptions. We will not be liable, for instance:
- if, through no fault of ours, you do not have enough money in your eligible account to make the transfer;
- if the transfer would go over the credit limit on your overdraft line;
- if the system supporting the Zelle Transfer Service was not working properly and you knew about the breakdown when you started the transfer;
- if the Transfer Transaction is delayed or cancelled for any of the reasons described in other Sections of this Agreement;
- if circumstances beyond our control (such as a fire or flood) prevent the transfer, despite reasonable precautions that we have taken.
You are responsible for paying all fees associated with your use of the Zelle Payment Service. There may be a charge for additional transactions and other optional services. You agree to pay such charges and authorize us to deduct the calculated amount from your designated eligible account for these amounts and any additional charges that may be incurred by you. Any bank fees associated with your deposit accounts (or other eligible accounts) will continue to apply. You are responsible for any and all telephone access fees and Internet service fees that may be assessed by your telephone and Internet service provider.
17. Use of Our Digital Banking Site and/or Mobile App
You agree to access this website and/or mobile app in compliance with our Digital Banking Agreement incorporated into and made part of this Agreement by this reference.
18. Cancellation of the Service
If you wish to cancel the Service, contact us at 1-866-626-6004. Any payment(s) that have begun processing before the requested cancellation date will be processed by us. You agree that we may terminate or suspend your use of the Service at any time and for any reason or no reason. Neither termination, cancellation nor suspension shall affect your liability or obligations under this Agreement.
19. Right to Terminate Access
In the event you violate any terms of this Agreement, there are unauthorized or fraudulent transactions related to your eligible account, use of the Zelle Transfer Service, or we incur problems with your use of the Zelle Transfer Service, you agree that we may suspend or terminate your access to the Zelle Transfer Service at any time.
We may, in our sole discretion, at any time and without prior notice to you or other Zelle Transfer Service participants, suspend or terminate:
- The Zelle Transfer Service,
- Your ability to send or receive funds through a Transfer Transaction,
- Your ability to send funds through a Transfer Transaction, while continuing to permit you to receive funds through a Transfer Transaction,
- Your ability to request funds from another Member, or
- Your ability to receive requests for funds from another Member.
20. Disclaimer of Warranties
EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE PROVIDED HEREIN, AND SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE LAW, ZELLE MAKES NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS OR ENDORSEMENTS WHATSOEVER WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICE. ZELLE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT, WITH REGARD TO THE SERVICE DESCRIBED OR PROVIDED. ZELLE DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, INVULNERABLE TO CYBER ATTACK OR OR ERROR-FREE, OR THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED. THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS.
21. Limitation of Liability
EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE PROVIDED HEREIN AND SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL ZELLE, ITS OWNERS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, AGENTS OR NETWORK BANKS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY DIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR OTHER INDIRECT DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF (I) ANY TRANSACTION CONDUCTED THROUGH OR FACILITATED BY THE SERVICE; (II) ANY CLAIM ATTRIBUTABLE TO ERRORS, OMISSIONS, OR OTHER INACCURACIES IN THE SERVICES DESCRIBED OR PROVIDED; (III) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA; OR (IV) ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THE SERVICES DESCRIBED OR PROVIDED, EVEN IF ZELLE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ZELLE’S SERVICE OR WITH THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE USING THE SERVICE.
IN THOSE STATES WHERE THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES MAY NOT APPLY, ANY LIABILITY OF ZELLE, ITS OWNERS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS AND AGENTS OR THE NETWORK BANKS LIABILITY IN THOSE STATES IS LIMITED AND WARRANTIES ARE EXCLUDED TO THE GREATEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, BUT SHALL, IN NO EVENT, EXCEED ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100.00).
You acknowledge and agree that you are personally responsible for your conduct while using the Service, and except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, you agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Zelle, its owners, directors, officers, agents and Network Banks from and against all claims, losses, expenses, damages and costs (including, but not limited to, direct, incidental, consequential, exemplary and indirect damages), and reasonable attorneys’ fees, resulting from or arising out of your use, misuse, errors, or inability to use the Service, or any violation by you of the terms of this Agreement.
23. Governing Law; Choice of Law; Severability
Governing Law and Venue. This Agreement will be governed by and interpreted in accordance with Federal law and regulations, and by the laws of the state that is specified in your Deposit Agreement and Disclosure Statement for governing your Eligible Transaction Account. Any action between us shall be subject to the jurisdiction and venue provisions of that Deposit Account Agreement which are hereby incorporated into this Agreement.
Subject to the terms of this Agreement, the Services are generally available 24 hours a day, seven days a week with the exception of outages for maintenance and circumstances beyond our or Zelle’s control. Live customer service generally will be available Monday through Friday, excluding US bank holidays.
Zelle and the Zelle related marks are wholly owned by Early Warning Services, LLC and are used herein under license.